01/09/2014

I Heart Butts


image
My parents are out of town and Jonte was at a sleepover so I thought it would be fun to bake and decorate some heart-shaped sugar cookies with Teets!


image
Teets busy mixin away

image

I wanted to make other cute shapes but we only heart-shaped cookie cutters at home. I was disappointed at first, but in hindsight I'm glad that we only had these heart shapes because it was a lot easier to decorate since we only needed two colours. I didn't realise how messy and time consuming it was to make the icing and decorate the cookies with a bossy 5 year old.

image

The recipe called for 15 minutes of bake time and one of the comments warned to check the cookies from time to time because they're so thin they burn really easily. I made my cookies pretty thin so I set the timer to 10 minutes, only to find out that they needed an extra 15 minutes in the oven.. I suck at baking so every time I try there's always a kicker.

image

There were a lot of cookies so we made one for everyone at the house! =) Teets was excited and I won't lie I was hella geeked to decorate cookies. I was the self-proclaimed "Icing Boss" just so Teets could get off my shit and not touch the icing bag. 

image

But if it's any consolation, I made Teets "Sprinkles Boss" which he was pretty excited about. And making him the boss of sprinkles was being generous because he was a terrible sprinkle spreader. 

image
Messy kitchen

Sugar Cookies (from Martha Stewart)

3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined. 

The recipe for cut out cookies said to roll the dough into flat disks, put them in the fridge for an hour, cut up the shapes, then put them in the fridge again for another half hour.

But because both me and Teets are impatient we said "fuck it" (we didn't really) to that step and put the whole lump of dough (it was too soft to roll) in the freezer while I hopped on the shower. After about 15 minutes, I took the dough out and tried to work with that. It was difficult and entailed taking the dough out of the freezer and rolling them out in little batches, which took about the same time it would if we actually followed the recipe. Oh well, though, amirite?

They still turned out pretty good!

Icing recipe (*Note: put a little more milk than what the recipe calls for, maybe about a couple more tablespoons; in my first attempt on Saturday, it was really difficult to pump it out of the icing bag. On the second attempt, the icing was a little runnier than I wanted it to be so it was harder to write names, but it was still manageable.)

image

On another note, we had a Margherita pizza and Wagyu shawarma from Rafik Shawarma, a stall in Salcedo Market. Solid, solid stuff

image

image

Everyone should pet a dog today~ go do it. Go end your weekend the right way and pet a dog. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Talk to me!